Even though the author details the technical details of the major safety-related components of automobiles, the book is written for anyone with an interest in the workings of motor vehicles. Topics include:
- events driving the implementation of specific safety features
- government involvement and legislative actions
- effects of mandated and non-mandated implementation
- effects of safety technologies on annual passenger deaths
- technical details of specific innovations
- development of crash protection testing standards
Each of the five chapters covers a different period in the evolution of passenger cars. They include detailed descriptions of technologies and advancements that have directly contributed to the production, operation, and crash-survivability improvements made to automobiles. Also included are commentaries relating to influences of political and industry-driven initiatives, consumer reactions, and apparent effects of these influences on annual fatality rates.