Editor Joseph Harralson first compiled this collection of papers for an internal combustion engine design course he teaches at the California State University of Sacramento.
Topics covered include:
- Engine friction and output
- Design of high performance cylinder heads
- Multi-cylinder motorcycle racing engines
- Valve timing and how it affects performance
- Computer modeling of valve spring and valve train dynamics
- Correlation between valve size and engine operating speed
- How flow bench testing is used to improve engine performance
- Lean combustion
In addition, two papers of historical interest are included, detailing the design and development of the Ford D.O.H.C. Competition Engine and the Coventry Climax Racing Engine.