This handbook will give you a deeper understanding of the computer systems and embedded software in modern vehicles. It begins by examining vulnerabilities and providing detailed explanations of communications over the CAN bus and between devices and systems.
With an understanding of a vehicle’s communication network, you’ll learn how to intercept data and perform specific hacks to track vehicles, unlock doors, glitch engines, flood communication, and more. With a focus on low-cost, open source hacking tools, “The Car Hacker’s Handbook” will show you how to:
- Build an accurate threat model for your vehicle
- Reverse engineer the CAN bus to fake engine signals
- Exploit vulnerabilities in diagnostic and data-logging systems
- Hack the ECU and other firmware and embedded systems
- Feed exploits through infotainment and vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems
- Override factory settings with performance-tuning techniques
- Build physical and virtual test benches to try out exploits safely
If you’re curious about automotive security and have the urge to hack a two-ton computer, make this book your first stop.